Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The first Sunday which was Pentecost that I was in Cambridge, I went to First Church of Cambridge. Leading the choir into the sanctuary were people carrying long red streamers on poles. The metaphor of the fiery spirit flowing over the congregation was stirring and was an apt beginning for my seminary life.

Each year churches around the world celebrate when the Holy Spirit filled earlier followers of Christ.

Act 2:1-4 (NIV)
1When the day of Pentecost came, they were all together in one place. 2Suddenly a sound like the blowing of a violent wind came from heaven and filled the whole house where they were sitting. 3They saw what seemed to be tongues of fire that separated and came to rest on each of them. 4All of them were filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit enabled
them.
The last day that I was in Massachusetts I went to an interfaith worship service for Boston Pride. Leading in the clergy was a man swirling rainbow-colored streamers attached to a long pole over our heads. The streamers floated above us much like those streamers on Pentecost.

I was struck how the two services framed my time of intense study of oppression. Just like all my Big Fish, I knew God was trying to get my attention. God was reminding me that there are still people who don't know about unconditional love and grace. These signs emphasized to me that I have a mission. That mission starts doesn't start tomorrow or in a week or when I graduate. I am to start NOW!

No comments:

Post a Comment