Monday, July 20, 2009

A box of books

Today I went over to Gordon's house to look through Christopher's books. Gordon said I could take all that I wanted. As I filled a box with reference and spiritual books, I was struck with a sadness at the loss of my friend. This box of books is more than titles, pages, and words. It represents the mentor who embraced my desire to learn and accompanied me as my spiritual journey launched.

I met Christopher over eight years ago when I first attended to MCC Lubbock. He filled in for the full-time minister when she went on sabbatical just a few months after I started attending. Christopher led the membership class that I attended and welcomed me into the church as a member. When I was in a Bible study group taught by him, he encouraged me to step out and become a facilitator. Later he was a role model of how to lead as I worked with my own group. When I struggled with how I should minister to other people, Christopher provided me support and information. He sparked my interest in meditation helping me to listen to God, not just talk.

When Christopher died a few months ago, I felt a great loss in my heart. A few weeks earlier, he was kind enough to share the seminary recommendation that he had written for me. Reading his words, I knew that he was instrumental in my acceptance to EDS.
It feels appropriate that my professional library is started by Christopher who was instrumental in urging me forward on my spiritual journey. Each time I open one of his books I'll know that he is with me and acting as a spirit guide for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment