Thursday, November 26, 2009

Warning!!

I was driving back to Lubbock from the farm. When you live in the city, you forget how dark country roads can be. Ahead the only lights on the road were two sets of hazard lights flashing. Because I don't know what's ahead, I slowed down. I realized the parked vehicles might be sitting in the middle of the road. I slowed down even more as I approached the lights. As I was almost at the cars, something blocked the road. I quickly swerved around the black cow that straddled the yellow line. If I hadn't slowed down, I could have been killed.

How many times do we see warning lights from God? I hear that little voice in my head saying, "This isn't what you are supposed to be doing." I have to decide if I am going to listen to that voice or if I am going to preceed on a dangerous road. Often my own desires stifle the sirens that tell me what is good or not good for me. I make excuses to myself. "But I'm really lonely and God doesn't want me to be by myself." "If I work hard enough, I can make ... go the way it should." "I can change this person."

God has given each of us lights, bells, sirens that warn us when we are on a path that is destructive for us. God also gave us free will to decide whether we will follow God or our own desires. I pray that the next time I see hazard lights on my path, I slow down to decide if this is where I should go.

No comments:

Post a Comment