Sunday, December 6, 2009

Oh Come, Oh Come


Last Sunday was Advent Sunday, the season of preparation and waiting for the Nativity of Jesus. I was responsible for lighting the altar candles.

When I was trained to perform this duty, Jean, then the worship coordinator, explained how I could remember which candle to light first. When facing the altar, the candle on the right represents Jesus and it is always lit first. AND when extinguishing the candles, I was to relight the candle lighter off of the Christ candle and then process out of the sanctuary. I would be symbolically carrying Jesus out into the world.

As I started down the aisle with the lit candle lighter, I listened to the congregation sing, "Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel."
Oh, come, oh, come, Emmanuel,
And ransom captive Israel,
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God appear.
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!
I watched the flame as I walked. The words "the Son of God appear" struck a chord with me. Each time someone brings the flame in s/he is symbolically saying that God is present with us.

Do we have to wait for Christmas to feel like God is with us? All year long do we embrace the idea that God is with us? I'm not against Christmas. I think it can be a reminder that we are not alone and that God is with us. REJOICE! REJOICE!

No comments:

Post a Comment