Sunday, November 15, 2009

One More Try

In Hebrew Scriptures class (Old Testament), we have been just finishing Isaiah and Jeremiah. One thing I've noticed throughout the books that we've studied so far is that the Israelites were constantly screwing up and God was constantly giving them a second chance.

I sometimes beat myself up because I haven't been praying daily or because I was worried about money so I didn't pay my offering for the month. I feel like I have failed and think, "What's the use? I've already messed up. Why even try?" Sometimes I think I'm such a doofus that there is no way that God could still love me.

The lesson I'm learning from these old scriptures is that even in the olden (extremely olden) days God was willing to offer another chance. I always have another opportunity to follow God and the commandments that Jesus set forth. By commandments I'm speaking of "Love your neighbor as you love yourself and love God above all things."

The stewardship committee talks about how to keep stewardship in people's minds after finishing the drive. Referring back to God's recovenant with the Isrealites is one way we can help our congregants know that they can keep trying. Instead of giving up, each of us can try again. How else could we go to God's communion table?

No comments:

Post a Comment