Monday, April 11, 2011

Virtual Church

Walking around Sunshine Cathedral Second Life, I felt as though I was touring a physical world church. I like the idea that I can click on a study guide and get information about a book or Bible study that will be held there. I also like that I can click on a large video screen and watch a pastor's sermon from a physical church.

The question that springs to mind is: how is this virtual church different from a church's web page? The answer comes when the church service begins. Unlike on a web page, I actually heard the short sermon presented as it was going out to the rest of the attending avatars.

As I participated in the service, I was aware that others shared this encounter with me. The service was a different experience from when I toured the church on my own. I could follow the examples of the more experienced avatars and could add amen or other responses when I desired to do so. I could have also sat and never typed/uttered a word. After the service, some of the more regular attendees spoke to me. Again I was aware that I was not alone during this time.

As Douglas Estes said in SimChurch, some people who have social anxieties find a virtual church to be a safer place to socialize and develop relationships. I can certainly see the advantage when "virtual-world interactions can be far more authentic and far less awkward than real-world relationships...." (27) In addition to those with social anxieties, those people, who are not familiar with mainstream churches, "will prefer to worship in the virtual world because of the flexibility, transparency, diversity, and other innate strengths found in most virtual churches." (28)

The experience of virtual church felt like more than if I'd been on a web page. I felt like I had been somewhere. As someone who doesn't routinely function in the virtual world, I have to say I'm not sure where I've been. If someone who is comfortable moving about Second Life, I can certainly see the appeal of attending church with others who have similar interests.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Sandy,

    I attended Bible Study at Koinonia Congregational CHurch of Second Life right after class last week. The small group (there were maybe three or four other people) were very welcoming. Sophianne Rhode, who visited our class as Kimberly Knoght, showed me how to sit down and helped me access the study materials. The group decided to proceed using the chat box because I could not adjust the audio to hear what they were saying. I appreciated their kindness to a stranger.

    I tried attending Sunshine Cathedral but never managed to get there during a service, although I have visited the site at other times. Like you during your visit to Sunshine Cathedral, I felt that my experience at Koinonia Congregational Church was a "real" experience, even though it the only interaction was through the chat window. I plan on returning there after class tomorrow and I look forward to attending Sunshine Cathedral in the future. Perhaps we can go together!

    Thanks for your comment,

    Denise

    ReplyDelete