Friday, February 18, 2011

Are you in the service industry?

What does it mean to be a follower of Christ? The answer seems to be presenting itself to me around every corner.

As I sit in the airport, I watch people who are in the service industry who are harried as they try to rearrange seats, clean up after spills, and pacify the angry traveler who arrived at the gate as the plane is taking off. If the airport personnel handle disagreements with patience and kindness, the patrons around them often come away with a better view of the airlines and the airport.

As I am writing these words a man splashed his coffee on me. He felt horrible, apologizing over and over. My response to this little accident makes the difference in how I present myself as a Christian. Do I react with anger and live up to the too-often seen Christian in word, but not in walk? Or do I come across as a true follower of Christ and say, "Don't worry about it. You didn't do it on purpose."

Each of us who consider ourselves to be followers of Christ are in fact in the service industry. We meet travelers when they are angry, lost, confused, and often seeking. Our job is to show others about God's grace and as we do this we become better servants for God. Are you ready to serve?

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandy, I love your insights, recently I had a patient that was being very demanding and quite nasty. Rather than reacting I took a moment and prayed. The spirit revealed to me that she was afraid. I walked in her room and said "lets talk about what's really bothering you." The woman burst into tears and explained to me how fearful she was about her illness, her impending surgery and what her family would do if something catastrophic occurred. At the end of our conversation she asked me if I was a Christian. When I told her that I was she said "I could tell". Reading your post reminded me of Acts 4:13 "Now when they saw the boldness of Peter and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with Jesus."
    My point: People should know that we have been with Jesus

    ReplyDelete