Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Grandma's Birthday


Today is my grandma's birthday ... sort of. Legally Grandma's birthday was January 13 and she was born on January 12. Although she liked to let on that she was aggrevated by this error, I think she really enjoyed being able to tell the story.

Gertrude Lucille Baily was born in a tiny community called Dumont that was about 20 miles from the county seat. When she was born, a horrible snow storm blew in and no one could get to town to file her birth certificate. So on January 13 when someone could get to town, she was officially born.

What I remember best about Grandma was that she was always singing to herself and to us grandkids. And she was not a talented singer. I truly believe she was tone deaf, but she loved singing and music and shared her love with each of us. One of her favorites was "Froggy Went a Courting." This song facinated me because Frog and Miss Mouse were getting together. It also felt so very Grandma with her rural ways. She had an appreciation for times past and tried to share those ideas with me.

Happy Birthday, Grandma! Yes I know that today is the real day.

No comments:

Post a Comment