Saturday, August 22, 2009

Anticipation

Saturday morning was chore time when I was growing up. Mom taught us to clean the bathrooms, dust, and vacuum. David and I stripped our beds and put fresh sheets on them. We helped Mom wash and dry clothes and then fold them. Usually while we folded clothes we could watch cartoons. Mom let each of us pick one 30 minute cartoon. We could watch both programs and after the hour the TV was turned off.

Once a month or so we spent the night at Grandma's house. Of course they doted on us as many grandparents do. We were allowed to watch as many cartoons as we wanted. I remember waking up early on these mornings. David and I would turn the TV on real low and wait for the morning programing to start. We would watch the broad vertical bars with anticipation. We were in cartoon nirvana.

When we were older and my younger cousin, Stephanie, also stayed at Grandma's, I would wake Stephanie and leave her sitting on the floor in front of the screen. She had specific orders to come wake us when the cartoons started. Then I would go back to bed and sleep until the programing starts.

As an adult I don't often feel that childlike expectation. Grown-up life often becomes all about seeing life as mundane rather than looking forward to everyday activities. The most recent occasion for me to feel this anticipation and thrill is concerning this call I feel from God.

The difficulty for me is what to do when elation fades into reality. I am finding ways to continue feeling excitement in God's call. I am actively seek opportunities to praise and worship in ways that allow me to encounter God in a meaningful way. For me that often means enjoying services at locations other than my traditional church. Sometimes I have to make a point to not serve others and just receive. For several years I've made an effort to remove myself from the worship schedule a couple a Sundays a month. Sometimes I have to be able to relax and enjoy the celebration and nourishment that I can receive during worship.

Each of us have to find ways to keep that joy and excitement in our lives. When we feel this way, we are able to again find the anticipation we felt as children. Like those special Saturdays at Grandma's we are able to see the simple things in life as the wonder that God intended.

No comments:

Post a Comment